|Re: *SPOILERS* What are your thoughts on the game?|
Subject: Re: *SPOILERS* What are your thoughts on the game?
by Rage on 2009/6/6 8:44:13
I'm not anywhere close to finished yet - just haven't had the time to really sit down and focus. I'm currently having a devil of a time trying to keep Te'ijal and Galahad alive long enough to get them to the Overworld. Anyway, I gives what feedback I can right now.
STUFF I TOTALLY DIG:
1. I love the music. It's awesome and captures the spirit of the locations excellently. Props to Aaron Walz!
2. The scenery/maps are beautiful. The artwork is amazing. The colors are rich, the detail amazing.
3. I like the "disappearing corpses" feature, wherein they vanish once you've collected your loot after battle. Nice touch.
4. If I read it correctly during the tutorial, battle experience is earned by ALL characters, including those in reserve? That is a terrific feature. Love it. Of course, I'm not far enough into the game to HAVE reserve characters...but when I am, I know I will love it.
QUESTION: does that work the same for resting? If I go to an inn, will my reserve characters' stats refresh, or will I need to switch my party and rest again?
5. The plotline switches (from Mel to Te'ijal and back to Mel again) are unique, interesting, and give an challenging twist to the game. The only thing that concerns me a little bit about that is that - for me, at the moment - I am stuck, as I cannot keep Te'ijal alive long enough to get her to Overworld. Those little green things keep killing her. In previous Aveyond games, if I knew where I needed to go to advance the story, but the monsters were too strong, I simply went out and hunted up a few more levels until I was ready. But I can't do that now. It makes it more of a challenge, definitely, and therefore more interesting. But I may completely change my mind about that if, by Sunday night, I'm still stuck and have depleted my food and money supplies to where I simply cannot continue.
STUFF I'M NOT TOO KEEN ON:
1. The order of the menu items (not the menu at the bottom of the screen, but the menu you bring up when you click Escape). I prefer to use the keyboard controls when playing Aveynod and the "Items" menu is halfway down the column. A bit of a pain to have to hit the arrow key to go down every time I want to use an item. I would prefer it if the "Item" menu item to be closer to the top. This is not something that is totally ruining the game for me, it's just a mild annoyance and a preference.
2. Green Warp Eggs. I like the idea, but are they supposed to work every time you use one, or are they a random event? Reason I ask is that I attempted to use one during the first plotline switch, when Te'ijal was trying to convince Galahad to help her. Those skeletons were destroying Galahad and I had nothing to help him with, so I tried to warp out of there and it did not work. Now, given the extended scene that happens after that fight is over, I wondered if perhaps the egg was disabled for that particular battle, so you wouldn't miss the scene. If that is true, and the eggs will work all the time during the rest of the game, then I like the feature just fine. However, if they are a random event, then I'm not really liking the idea of something so rare being so random. If I could purchase a bunch of them at a store and they were random, well, that's OK. But randomness and rareness just don't go together.