Amaranth Games   Games   News   Order   Community   Help   Blog   Goodies   Updates   Guides Developers
Username:    Password:      Register now!
Game Genres
All Games
RPG
Adventure
SIM
Story
Cute
Game Kits
Amaranth Games (games only by us)
Newest Game
Featured Game
Edolie
Edolie
Popular Games

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 73 »
Where are you from? #1
Offline   Hui
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   718 Gold
Level : 24
EXP : 46
HP : 0 / 586
MP : 243 / 11284
I definitely don't know how to do up polls but I will try to. Hopefully it works. *crosses fingers*

This is a remake from the purple forums, I saw maren come back and remembered the thread in which we learnt about many countries' cultures. It was an awesome thread.

So I'll start off -- I'm from Singapore (Southeast Asia), the little red dot. Unlike what some people may have thought, we are not part of Japan, or China, or Malaysia (used to, though), we are an independent country.

Ir's a tropical island, the most globalised city in the world, we're generally conflict-free and peaceful, not to mention prosperous. Four main ethnic/racial groups co-exist here: The Chinese majority, the Malays, the Indians and the Eurasians.

It's hot, I can't say I'm too happy with some aspects of the politics and social life, but we're free of natural disasters and we enjoy pretty high standards of living. =)

Get started on the sharing, people. =)

Edit: Ugh. I dunno how to make the stupid polls work. somebody help me out. sorry, on ff here.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 23:45

We walked along the same paths because we chose Life and Death together.

Re: Where are you from? #2
Offline   Oracle
  Dragon Lords
gold   6523 Gold
Level : 57
EXP : 34
HP : 845 / 1408
MP : 2272 / 27146
I don't know how to do the poles. I can't say as for my whole counrty. But I can talk about my town. The cities are to busy and dangerous for my taste. I live in a remote town in Northern California, USA. It is very quiet here and everyone looks out for each other. It is a community of about 500 families. We gather for all kinds of social events. Ice cream parties. Parades in the summer. We meet once a week for arts and crafts. The big news last year was we had to call in a tracker to hunt down a mountain lion who was killing pets and livestock. I go to the city about once a month for supplies. It's about an hour away.
Open in new window

This is the only street through our town. To the left is our post office, fire hall, and general store/gas station. On the right is the community center, our local school (about 20 students) and two churches. It's about 3 1/2 mi from my home.
I love the peace and quiet, and all the farm fresh produce available from everyone's gardens.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 1:00

Re: Where are you from? #3
Offline   Aeternus
  Dragon Lords
gold   1442 Gold
Level : 32
EXP : 15
HP : 155 / 778
MP : 467 / 15012
Can't help you with polls, sorry, Hui >_< (I've never made one) I think you do need to use IE at the moment, though, if you want to make one.

For me, though, I live in Canada - more specifically, Ontario. But even Ontario itself is diverse and the culture you live in will really depend on which city and even where in the city you live in. You have Toronto, which is considered one of the most (if not THE most) diverse city in the world. You also have Ottawa, the capital of the country, which has a strong French-Canadian presence (relatively speaking). Then you have towns like my friend's where its population is probably 99% white.

I myself live in quite a diverse city, although not quite as diverse as Toronto. Still, visible minorities make up almost half of the whole city's population, but most of them come from the South Asia region. Basically, it's not uncommon for people to see others wearing saris or turbans around here. There are lots of other minorities, as well, and multiculturalism is embraced. We even have a city "festival" of a sort every year where various cultures set up pavillions to share their cultures through food, displays, games, music, and dancing.

As for climate, it also depends on where you live. What one city experiences might be different from another city, even if they're somewhat close by. For example, where I go to school (only about an hour's drive away), our snowbanks were probably up to my knees. When I came home, though, the snowbanks were at least half my height!

Generally, though, during winter, the temperature can range from 0°-(-15)°C, although it can feel a lot colder with the wind chill! During the summer, temperatures are around 25-30°C, although with humidity, it's not uncommon to see temperatures close to 40°C.

As for politics...meh. I'm rather apathetic. I don't really trust Stephen Harper (the prime minister), though. Something about him...o_O

EDIT: Inspired by ally, I'm posting some pics, but since there are several, I'm just providing the links to quicken the loading speed for those with slower connections ^^

Summer forest (the girl in the pic is my cousin) :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/aeternus/Scenic/pathway.jpg

Niagara Falls:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27 ... rnus/Scenic/niagara01.jpg

The Hawaiian pavilion from that festival I mentioned:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27 ... us/pavillions/2007015.jpg

Indian pavilion:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27 ... us/pavillions/2007008.jpg

Belgian pavilion:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27 ... us/pavillions/2007017.jpg

Just outside my street, the day after a snowstorm:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/aeternus/2008NewYear031.jpg

Skating at Nathan Philips Square, Toronto:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/aeternus/DSCN1078a.jpg

Toronto during the summer:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27 ... anada%20Day/July3021a.jpg

Posted on: 2008/2/19 1:07

Re: Where are you from? #4
Guest_

gold    Gold
I live Virginia about eight miles outside of Richmond. I've lived in Monterey, California and Phoenix, Arizona. Virginia has to be my favorite of the three.

We have such beauty here, so much green, right on the ocean, and the Blue Ridge Mountains are absolute gorgeous all year long. Summer has them green, fall has them every color of the rainbow, winter has them snow covered and spring has all the new greens coming in. I love the change of the seasons. Sort of renews me as I live through them.

There's a lot of history here in Virginia. Jamestown, Williamsburg, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Indian tribes and more.

I love the beauty of the mountains and the peace of the ocean. There are so many places to camp, fish, and hunt.

Where I live there are loads of tall trees... they overhang over the road and create "tree tunnels"... so beautiful.

There's so much beauty here... I'll let my sister, Riven, tell some of it too!

Posted on: 2008/2/19 2:26

Re: Where are you from? #5
Offline   Lord_Maeglin
  Amaranthian
gold   350 Gold
Level : 17
EXP : 39
HP : 0 / 409
MP : 115 / 7862
Atlanta Georgia...There are alot of people and the city is pretty vibrant...I don't know what else to really say (I won't tell where exactly, because I like a little secrecy)

Posted on: 2008/2/19 15:16

Re: Where are you from? #6
Offline   Talan
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   28 Gold
Level : 4
EXP : 22
HP : 0 / 80
MP : 10 / 1539
I live in East Hardwick, Vermont (aka the middle of nowhere XD). It's a pretty small town, less than a thousand people. We have our own post office and everything but we're generally considered part of Hardwick (unfortunately.. Hardwick has a reputation for being one of the crummiest places to live in Vermont).

Everybody here knows one another and for the most part we all get along and have a grand ol' time. Most everything here is owned by a small family, not a big corporation, and I honestly don't think any big business could survive here >.<

There is a LOT of snow in the winter though, infact, right now some of the snow banks are taller than me and I'm about 6' lol. Summer is beautiful, though. The temperature's perfect (for me anyways) and green EVERYWHERE.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 7:12

Re: Where are you from? #7
Offline   Hui
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   718 Gold
EXP : 46
HP : 0 / 586
MP : 243 / 11284
It sounds like a beautiful place, talan =) wish you have pictures.

@all: i'm still trying to get the poll to work. If it doesn't, I'm going to pester one of the admins.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 7:22

We walked along the same paths because we chose Life and Death together.

Re: Where are you from? #8
Offline   BeMused
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   801 Gold
Level : 25
EXP : 12
HP : 0 / 603
MP : 258 / 11596
Niagara Falls: I hear Superman Theme playing. xD

I live in Malaysia. It is similar to Singapore in many aspects. Majority of the populations are the Malays, follow up by the Indians, the Chinese, and lastly, the immigrants. Ah, how should I say this without sounding offensive... our former PM did a mistake by allowing in immigrants so as to increase the Malaysian population. Now they are giving us lots of trouble in return. O.o

Coming back, we have mountains and lush green rain forests. Our National Park is situated at the eastern part of Peninsular Malaysia, covering three northern states. It is one of the attraction points for the adventurous. The lucky ones might get see rafflesia, the largest flower in the world. ^^

Hmm... I think that is more than enough. If you want to know more about Malaysia, switch on to the National Geography channel. xD

Btw, no, we don't live in trees. O.o

Posted on: 2008/2/20 7:51

Re: Where are you from? #9
Offline   whisperingmist
  Dragon Lords
gold   1083 Gold
Level : 29
HP : 0 / 703
MP : 367 / 13559
I was born in São Paulo, Brazil, and lived there until I was almost 13. Then my family moved to the US, and I've been living here for the past 7 years.

Let's see... São Paulo's the biggest city in South America, and contrary to popular belief (read: stereotypes), Brazil is not just a huge rain forest. What I really love about Brazil is the climate. I haven't really been to many other parts of Brazil aside from where I grew up and the beach nearby, but the climate there is pretty good. It's very mild; it doesn't get too cold or too hot. It's humid weather, though, so even though the summer there doesn't get as hot as it does where I currently live, it's somewhat more unbearable. It also rains a lot there, often when you least expect it. My friends always joke that big purses are "in" right now because if you carry a small purse, you can't fit an umbrella.

Also, in terms of culture, I think the people there are less distant. I think Americans show more solidarity when disasters happen, but they seem more distant otherwise. Now, the big downside in Brazil is the government. Government in Brazil = EXTREMELY corrupt. The people in power only care about filling up their pockets, and don't do anything to improve the situation in the country. As a result, the public school system is awful, and people don't feel safe outside. At night, people prefer to run a red light and get a traffic ticket than run the risk of getting robbed/kidnapped/who knows what else.

Quote:
Hui wrote:

It's hot, I can't say I'm too happy with some aspects of the politics and social life, but we're free of natural disasters and we enjoy pretty high standards of living. =)

Sounds like Brazil. We've never had any natural disasters, aside from floods... until recently. The first one was a couple of months ago, an earthquake in Minas Gerais. The standard of living is a lot worse for people who don't have much money, but for middle class (especially upper middle class), people enjoy a much better standard of living. In a way, it feels like you get more for your money than you do in the US. In Brazil, if you're upper middle class, it is common for you to attend private schools, have a driver, have 3 cars, have a maid/housekeeper (or even multiple ones), and even have an apartment/house at the beach.

Quote:
BeMused wrote:

I hear you. It's funny, in a sad way, the stereotypes people have in their heads. I've had people ask me if Brazil is just a big rain forest.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 18:38

"The covers of this book are too far apart."
-------------------------------Ambrose Bierce

Re: Where are you from? #10
Offline   Oracle
  Dragon Lords
gold   6523 Gold
@Bemused Any chance of you posting a picture of one of those flowers?

@Whisperingmist, When I think of Brazil I think of Feastivals like Madi Gras in New Orleans, Beaches and Rio. Bright summer colors.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 19:12

Re: Where are you from? #11
Guest_

gold    Gold
All of these places that y'all live in sound so beautiful... so wonderful... so many nice places around the world to live.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:27

Re: Where are you from? #12
Offline   MagicalCreature
  Amaranthian
gold   75 Gold
Level : 7
EXP : 53
HP : 0 / 163
MP : 24 / 3137
I live in Northern California just like Allybandy

( That looks picture that Ally had looks REALLLY familiar at least I think it does... And we just had a mountain lion problems too O_o Its a small world the lion killed my friends goats and sheep too )

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:51

Visit the Dreamers Teardrop
Just a click! away

Re: Where are you from? #13
Offline   RivenSilver
  Amaranthian
gold   530 Gold
Level : 22
EXP : 85
HP : 0 / 546
MP : 208 / 10525
Alrighty then! My sister has just pointed out that I haven't posted to this thread when she said I would. It is indeed my fault because I forgot. I know, I should have put it on my list of things to do.

Let's see...I'm living with my sister, Patricia, right now. Every day is a barrel of fun. It is very beautiful here in in rural Mechanicsville. What a name. I've also lived in Louisville, KY, Pensacola, FL, and Portsmouth, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, and Isle of Wight County, Virginia. I also visited Patricia when she lived in Arizona. I would have to say I like Virginia best; especially the mountains. They are gorgeous any time of year.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:58

Re: Where are you from? #14
Offline   Aeternus
  Dragon Lords
gold   1442 Gold
Level : 32
HP : 155 / 778
MP : 467 / 15012
Quote:
Niagara Falls: I hear Superman Theme playing. xD

Superman? Niagara Falls? I don't get it o_O; *confused*

Quote:

LMAO Do people actually think that? I guess it's sort of like how people imagine Canadians living in igloos all the time and drive dog sleds to get around XD

Quote:
I've also lived in Louisville, KY, Pensacola, FL, and Portsmouth, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, and Isle of Wight County, Virginia.

Wow, that's a lot of places, Riven! If you don't count where I'm living for school (which is temporary, anyway), I've only ever lived in one place

Posted on: 2008/2/20 22:26

Re: Where are you from? #15
Offline   BeMused
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   801 Gold
Level : 25
EXP : 12
HP : 0 / 603
MP : 258 / 11596
Ally: Here is a good intro of the parasitic flower.
http://www.earlham.edu/~givenbe/Rafflesia/rafflesia/biodiv2.htm

Aeternus: That is an old, old film. Superman 2. Not the new movie.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 4:17

Re: Where are you from? #16
Offline   mythra
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   199 Gold
Level : 13
EXP : 38
HP : 0 / 309
MP : 68 / 5966
I live in NZ. Small country, bottom of the world. And no we don't walk on our heads.

Hmm. Not much to say about NZ that most people don't already know. It's pretty, it's green and there is a lot of sheep. >.>

NZers love rugby, cricket and beer. But I think a lot of people like beer. <.<

We are fiercely proud of things we achieve like climbing Mt Everest, making LoTR and being very good at playing rugby.

I think that is about it.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 12:16

Re: Where are you from? #17
Offline   Oracle
  Dragon Lords
gold   6523 Gold
@Bemused thank you for the picture and info. I have a Dragon Lily that smells really bad like that too. Kind of like dead rotting fish, the flies love it.lol.Open in new window

@mythra I had an aunt and uncle that lived in NZ for about 3 yrs. I always loved to look at their pictures of the place. It is very beautiful.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 17:38

Re: Where are you from? #18
Offline   Piddlepup
  Amaranthian
gold   7 Gold
Level : 2
EXP : 0
HP : 0 / 25
MP : 3 / 480
I live in Seattle, WA. I have a great view of Puget Sound from my office window. I was born and raised in the South(North and South Carolina) and moved out here to work for Microsoft.

The Northwest is a wonderful place. There are great mountains and camping here and if you work in the computer industry, it's definately the place to be. The cost of living is higher than on the East coast, but the pay is also higher. The summers are very pretty with mild temperatures. The winters can be very depressing if you hate rain but most people can handle it.

The big joke most of us do in the summer is to walk by tourist and make comments about how this is the only sunny day we've had in three month. We don't want too many people finding out about this place.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 17:51

Re: Where are you from? #19
Offline   UnicornLady
  Dragon Lords
gold   1040 Gold
EXP : 59
HP : 0 / 589
MP : 246 / 11366
I live mid way between Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Chicago, Illinois. In Illinois near the Wisc. border.
My favorite place to live was the Black Hills of South Dakota! Just so beautiful. But many places are beautiful. And people are nice, and friendly in most places we've been.
We have coyotes running wild here, have to keep our pets in view and tied, if we don't have fenced yards.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 15:19

Re: Where are you from? #20
Offline   Catchoun
  Dragon Lords
gold   3537 Gold
Level : 46
EXP : 14
HP : 451 / 1128
MP : 1212 / 21749
I leave in the suburb of Paris (France) and even if I've spent my first 18 years IN Paris, and didn't imagine at that moment I should live anywhere else, I slowly grew with the idea of going out of cities when growing older. Then I met my husband, whose parents had a house in the middle of fields in the South of the France, and I felt in love with this peaceful natural place...
Two years ago we've bought the house and we plan to go there in 2011...
Almost 11 weeks per year, we spend all our holidays there, with all our cats, and it's really great

I totaly agree with Papierce : " I love the change of the seasons. Sort of renews me as I live through them." and I would be really sad if I should live in a country where it's not well marked.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 16:36

(1) 2 3 4 ... 73 »
      Register To Post
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Join our Newsletter!

RSS Feed

Coming Soon!
RPGs
Dragons Among Us
Aveyond 4

Sandbox
Pixel Pygmies

Kingdom Chat
Sargon > 08/29 04:45:50[Sargon] Happy weekend
Aveyond Wiki
Click to Visit!
made by fans, for fans
Kingdom Map

(Laws)

(Forums)

(News)

(Art Gallery)

(Cottages)

(Guilds)

(Experiments)

Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing My Forum Entries)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
About Us |  Sell Our Games |  Add Your Game to Our Site
©2007 Amaranth Games, LLC