Amaranth Games   Games   News   Order   Community   Help   Blog   Goodies   Updates   Guides Developers
Username:    Password:      Register now!
Game Genres
All Games
RPG
Adventure
SIM
Story
Cute
Game Kits
Amaranth Games (games only by us)
Newest Game
Featured Game
Aveyond: Gates of Night
Aveyond: Gates of Night
Popular Games

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »
Aveyond and myths names #1
Offline   TrueShadow
  Amaranthian
gold   245 Gold
Level : 15
EXP : 25
HP : 0 / 356
MP : 88 / 4922
Or to be more spesific, the Druids and the Daevas. They come from Zoroastrianism myths.

Zoroastrianism is a belief which is said to the first monotheist religion in the world. In Zoroastrianism, there are two gods, one represents good and one represents evil. The good god's name is Ahura Mazda, while the evil one is called Angra Mainyu, also known as Ahriman (!).

Under these gods there are other great beings. Under Ahura Mazda are the Yazata, and under Ahriman's are the Daeva. You can say they're like angels and demons in Christianity.

The Druids name come from some of the Yazata name, and the Daevas from..well, the Daeva. Unfortunately, I can't find what aspects do they control (like in Greek myth, Athena is the goddess of war and wisdom) to see if they match with the Aveyond version.

Just want to share this with you all

Posted on: 2010/7/11 9:06

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #2
Offline   Night's_Demon
  Amaranthian
gold   143 Gold
Level : 8
EXP : 29
HP : 0 / 182
MP : 29 / 2056
That's pretty cool! Where did you find that information?

Posted on: 2010/7/11 11:29

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #3
Offline   TrueShadow
  Amaranthian
gold   245 Gold
Wikipedia lol

Posted on: 2010/7/11 11:34

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #4
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8793 Gold
Level : 53
EXP : 47
HP : 524 / 1311
MP : 1848 / 23824
No kidding. Found that out about 2 years ago...

Persian religion rant!!!

The daevas' enemies are the "Amesha Spentas", not "Yazata". The Yazata are a different kind of god. Though both the Yazata and Amesha Spentas are under Ahrua Mazda, the one "specifically fighting against the daevas" are the Amesha Spentas.

The daevas and the Amesha Spentas represent "evil characteristics" instead of elements or powers, so of course they do not match the AV ones. Think seven deadly sins VS seven holy virtues. Not to mention that Agas is NOT a daeva. In the original myth the seventh daeva is named "Aka Manah", and the demon called Agas is actually a "drug", a female demon ranking lower than the daevas. In fact, somewhere along the line of this ever-evolving religion, Aesma is not a daeva either and there are only SIX daevas instead of seven. Totally confusing, yes?

So, the daevas and their "arch-nemesis":
- Aka Manah, representing "evil thought" VS Vohu Manah, representing "good thought" (duh)
- Indra, representing lies, VS Asha Vahishta, representing "best truth"
- Nanghaithya, representing discontent, VS Spenta Armaiti, representing devotion
- Saurva, representing "oppression", VS Kshathra Vairya, representing hierarchy
- Tawrich, representing "destruction", VS Haurvatat, representing "wholeness"
- Zarich, the poisoner, VS Ameretat, representing immortality
- Aesma, representing "wrath", VS Sraosha, representing "obedience"
- And, of course, Ahriman VS Ahura Mazda, which is basically the devil VS god.

Agas is a demon of illness and she represents any sin that is caused by the eye, which includes lust and jealousy.Does that mean she's a lust/seducer demon? Can't be too sure... Am so totally used to thinking of Agas a guy from AV that when I found this I just flipped and started laughing like a moron.

The AV druids that are based off members the Yazata:
- Rashnu: one of the judges of the dead
- Daena: represents "religion" in general

Would have ranted on how when this zoroastrianism evolves to the Vedic/Hindu religion, everything gets flipped (daevas become "devas" a.k.a gods while "ahura" become "ashura" a.k.a demons), but that is off topic so I won't go there. Plus, there's only 3 daevas who became somewhat notable Hindu gods. Indra is Indra, the thunder god and king of the gods (like Zeus). Nanghaithya is Nasatya, who is a not exactly well-known god of healing and is somewhat connected to the sun (like Apollo). Saurva is Shiva, the "ultimate god" <--- THIS is a totally OMGWTHBBQ-worthy news to ME.

As for the other characters: Rhen and Talia actually comes from the periodic table of elements (Rhenium and Talium), and a lot of the other names are either generic (Galahad, Pirate John, Lars), completely made up (Te'ijal and Elini), or a warped spelling of an ordinary name (Dameon from Damien).

Okay, shutting up now. It's LONG.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 12:55

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #5
Offline   theAdept_Rogue
  Dragon Lords
gold   2010 Gold
Level : 37
EXP : 4
HP : 180 / 901
MP : 670 / 16366
For more information about d_a's rant, you can find it in www.pantheon.org and search Persian Myth there. <<Useless Trivia

Posted on: 2010/7/12 5:16

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #6
Offline   elonah
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   1307 Gold
Level : 26
EXP : 9
HP : 0 / 627
MP : 282 / 10792
when I first read the title I thought it's the name of Rhen, Lars, Dameon etc.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 9:13

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #7
Offline   theAdept_Rogue
  Dragon Lords
gold   2010 Gold
Level : 37
EXP : 4
HP : 180 / 901
MP : 670 / 16366
@elonah: which, then, the topic will be useless- since most of the party members have common names.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 9:26

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #8
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8793 Gold
@elonah: Like I said, Rhen is from the element Rhenium, Lars is a common real life name, and Dameon is a wrecked spelling of "Damien". Te'ijal and Elini are either completely made up or based of names from regions where people have eccentric names, like somewhere in Eastern Europe or Middle East.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 14:05

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #9
Offline   elonah
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   1307 Gold
Level : 26
EXP : 9
HP : 0 / 627
MP : 282 / 10792
ah.. I see, awesome this should've be put in our papers including all aveyond main characters and meanings of their name
i skipped that part XD

Posted on: 2010/7/12 22:39

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #10
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8793 Gold
@elonah: Papers? What papers? The Amaranthia newspaper?

Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:17

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #11
Offline   TrueShadow
  Amaranthian
gold   245 Gold
Wow...that's a lot more accurate than me...And I was under the impression that the Amesha Spentas were like the "Archangels" and the Yazata were the other angels.

*not gonna lose*
Anyway, Talia's name, aside from the periodic element Talium, is also a name of one of the 9 (or 8?)Muses in Greek Mythology. The Muses are the goddesses of art, and Talia is the Muse of Comedy, or happy drama.

If anyone's gonna correct this one, too, I'll wave the white flag.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 4:28

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #12
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8793 Gold
Nah, I totally forgot about the muse Talia. I also actually found out about that some time ago too, but forgot

More names!!

Galahad: Sir Galahad is one of King Arthur's knights from the knights of the round table. Some say that he's the bastard son of Lancelot, but various sources say different things, so I can't be too sure. He's a special knight who was the only one to be able to sit on the mysterious red chair that not even King Arthur himself could sit on and he wields the mysterious red sword stuck in a stone that nobody else could pull out (I heard the chair and sword were red, but I could be wrong). He is the knight who succeeded in finding the Holy Grail, but was immediately taken to heaven upon seeing it (i.e he died).

Uthar Pendragon: Otherwise spelled as "Uther". King Arthur's father. Supposedly pronounced the same as "Arthur". I don't remember much about him, so I can't say anything, but I remember that he had a vision about two dragons fighting, one white one red, and the red one won. It's supposedly representing his kingdom and his enemies, meaning that he will win. Merlin advised him to "give Arthur away" and have him raised as a commoner, but I totally forgot the reason why.

Pendragon: King Arthur's "family name/surname of some sorts", duh. It means "head dragon", showing the status of a leader. Sometimes, the Welsh red dragon, which is based off the red dragon who fights the white dragon I might add, is also called a Pendragon.

I'm pretty sure the name "Aveyond" itself is inspired/based off "Avalon", a mystical island mentioned in the Arthurian legend.

Sedona: An actual name of a town in Arizona, United States. It's located quite near the national forest, which is nothing but a very large valley of CACTI. The national forest of Arizona is a cactus forest. (I could be mistaken, but this is what I read so...)

Veldt: A term for African grasslands for animals grazing.

I pulled those off the top of my head, including the daeva rant. Those are all things I know off the top of my head, just because I'm too lazy to research again. I mean, I once researched them (duh, where'd you think I know them from?) but I don't wanna look up the facts again so I just wrote down what I remember from memory.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 13:26

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #13
Offline   mariedan11
  Amaranthian
gold   546 Gold
Level : 18
EXP : 63
HP : 0 / 440
MP : 133 / 5768
hmm.. the infos are interesting..

well? what? it is.. isn't it?
lol.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 1:38

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #14
Offline   Beginners
  Amaranthian
gold   479 Gold
Level : 20
EXP : 7
HP : 0 / 476
MP : 156 / 5387
I never know someone would post such good information about AV1 character names. Great job

Posted on: 2010/7/15 22:16

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #15
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8793 Gold
@Beginners: Is my wall-of-text daeva rant part of what you call "good information"?

@TrueShadow: Regarding what you said about Amesha Spentas being the archangels of some sorts, you're right. They are the "archangels". The daevas are "archdemons", the top-rank demons specifically made by Ahriman to fight the Amesha Spentas. In later versions of the religion, though, "daeva" became a general term for ALL demons. The belief evolves quite a lot in the long run, one of the major change being the how the daevas evolve from being "dark/fallen gods" to "demons", but let's not get into that....

AV1 is the one most infested with myth-inspired names. The other... not so much so.

Going off topic because I'm now talking about objects and places.....

Brumswich: Now this is probably just me being nitpicky, but it's either based off "Brunswick", which is a name for many different cities and places all over the world (I swear, there are LOTS of places called "Brunswick" all over the world) or "West Bromwich" which is in the UK.

Cassia (leaf): An aromatic plant that is used as spice and is very closely related to cinnamon (as in cinnamon roll), except that is isn't cinnamon. Just like how a grapefruit and an orange are different, even though they look very similar.

Mithra (as in Mithra Shield):Iranian god of light, friendship and justice. Is said to be the son of Ahura Mazda (see epic daeva rant above and initial post for info about Ahura Mazda)

Zurvan (as in Zurvan's armour): The forefather of the gods in Persian myth. Kind of like Uranus from Greek myth. The god of infinite space and time, and the father of both Ahriman and Ahura Mazda (yeah, "god" and "the devil" are brothers. Looking from a Christian POV, that's totally weird)

Posted on: 2010/7/15 22:55

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #16
Offline   TrueShadow
  Amaranthian
gold   245 Gold
*waves white flag* Daeva_Agas has totally pwned me on Persian myths.

Quote:

AV1 is the one most infested with myth-inspired names. The other... not so much so.

Most likely because it follows 'globalization' or something like that, so that as time moves on, traditional legends/myths got forgotten over time and people are more following the 'modern' trends. AV1 has some old names like Galahad , while in AV3 (300 years later), the protagonists have totally normal names like Edward or Lydia.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 5:39

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #17
Offline   mariedan11
  Amaranthian
gold   546 Gold
hmm, i remembered when we were studying myths, i was like so bored, then we encountered Ahriman.. haha, yep, that caught my attention just sharing. since then.. i've appreciated myths more

Posted on: 2010/7/17 7:22

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #18
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8793 Gold
@TrueShadow: Don't worry, don't worry... I just spent a loooooooong time researching Persian myth and how it evolves once because I want to incorporate as much of the original myth of the daevas in my AV fan-stories. I feel like my daevas aren't acting like what demons should be acting like, so I tracked down their mythical roots to see if I can find something that could make sense of that... And behold! I found the stuff about the daevas being dark/fallen gods

Shutting up now before I go into a whole another rant about off-topic stuff.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 13:25

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #19
Offline   mariedan11
  Amaranthian
gold   546 Gold
oh, don't shut up i think information like these are really worth reading. not only it is in our scope of interest but also it will be useful in studies lol

Posted on: 2010/7/17 23:05

Re: I've found out where the AV1 character names come from! #20
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8793 Gold
@mariedan: Oh no, I'm just shutting up for that post because I was about to go on a rant on how the information about the daevas that I found affect how MY daevas work and how it leads to the creation of my AV daeva OC Aka Manah, but that would be totally off topic. We ARE talking about general AV characters, not my AV-inspired daevas.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 23:53

(1) 2 3 »
      Register To Post
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Join our Newsletter!

RSS Feed

Coming Soon!

RPGs
Dragons Among Us
Edolie
Aveyond 4

Sandbox
Pixel Pygmies

Kingdom Chat
ljspence > 04/17 15:24:40[ljspence] goodnight Sargon
Aveyond Wiki
Click to Visit!
made by fans, for fans
Kingdom Map

(Laws)

(Forums)

(News)

(Art Gallery)

(Cottages)

(Guilds)

(Experiments)

Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing My Forum Entries)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
About Us |  Sell Our Games |  Add Your Game to Our Site
2007 Amaranth Games, LLC