Amaranth Games   Games   News   Order   Community   Help   Blog   Goodies   Updates   Guides Developers
Username:    Password:      Register now!
Game Genres
All Games
RPG
Adventure
SIM
Story
Cute
Game Kits
Amaranth Games (games only by us)
Newest Game
Featured Game
Edolie
Edolie
Popular Games

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Register To Post

If you could give RPG Maker a makeOVER ... #1
Offline   shaz
  Administrator
gold   11565 Gold
Level : 69
EXP : 2
HP : 1700 / 1700
MP : 4028 / 32966
If you've frequented facebook recently and seen Aveyond Kingdom's latest update, you'll know we're on the lookout for a new game engine. We LOVE RPG Maker, but its limitations are hurting more and more with each new game. Resolution and platform are the two biggies, but there are other things that we just wish we could do, but can't.

It made me wonder what other RMXP/VX fans might put on their wishlist.

So ... here we go. What are the limitations of RPG Maker that you wish you could do away with, or change? Don't include scripts that you wish were part of the standard engine - I'll set up another topic for that.

My list of pet peeves is:
- more than 7 autotiles per tileset
- unlimited tilesets (what WERE Enterbrain thinking?!)
- an extra mapping layer!

Posted on: 2011/11/11 16:48

Re: If you could give RPG Maker a makeOVER ... #2
Offline   Ashen_Eclipse
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   1047 Gold
Level : 27
EXP : 29
HP : 0 / 657
MP : 313 / 10133
I have to say that having another mapping layer and having more autotiles per tileset would be what I would want added. I kinda wish you could have more than one tileset per map as well, that way people like me don't need to make one MASSIVE tileset to get all the different combinations I/we want. ^^

Posted on: 2011/11/12 20:24

Visit my cottage. <3

Re: If you could give RPG Maker a makeOVER ... #3
Offline   shaz
  Administrator
gold   11565 Gold
I just use GIMP to copy the parts I want into a new tileset, so I've got all the bits I want, and none of the bits I don't. The biggest pain with that is that you have to go through and manually set the properties on each tile.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 21:23

Re: If you could give RPG Maker a makeOVER ... #4
Offline   Ashen_Eclipse
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   1047 Gold
Level : 27
EXP : 29
HP : 0 / 657
MP : 313 / 10133
No, that's what I do... I just want pretty much -all- of it in one. XD I can't decide what I want more.

Egh, manually setting properties. Not fun. -_- If only there was a way to make that easier.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 22:54

Visit my cottage. <3

Re: If you could give RPG Maker a makeOVER ... #5
Offline   Juunanagou
  Amaranthian
gold   95 Gold
Level : 8
EXP : 62
HP : 0 / 190
MP : 31 / 1975
interesting...Let's see... I agree with the things said, more autotiles and infinite tileset. An extra layer would be useful.

-Not mapping in autotiles like vx, but more like xp (the maps looks awful if you don't parallax).
-An easier way to dispose maps. If you have to move one of them you have to copy and paste or move everything.
-A better rtp set, maybe two kind of, one like vx and one like xp, for whom love higher characters or smaller
-More than one BS, that you can switch easly without scripts. Maybe one for kind, one frontal, one lateral, one active and one tactic.
-Some other menus like circular or other.
-A decent dungeon generator, if you mess up with the size you'll have a room with 20 size wall.
-A chara and faceset generator, like the new rpgmaker vx ace their are doing.
-A way to modify map like you are using photoshop and parallax.

Ok they are lots things. Hope thay someone will use them in a new engine? XD

Posted on: 2011/11/13 7:17

Re: If you could give RPG Maker a makeOVER ... #6
Offline   yannes
  Amaranthian
gold   836 Gold
Level : 24
EXP : 47
HP : 117 / 586
MP : 243 / 6554
I'd like to see it easier to combine tilesets, if you want to add this bridge to that tileset, you have to reset all tha passabilitires and all that, it would be nicer if you could jsut paste it in.

It would also be nice if we could "frankensprite" with rpgmake, changing hair of armor and stuff (howver I have read here and there thart in VX you can make your own characteers or something? I might be wrong though)

more self switches for events would be nice.

I stil think that the possibilities with eventing aren't as big as they should be. What also would be nice is that you can "event" a script, meaning that you can create your own script by using the events in rpg maker (this would make it able to make your own farming system, just to say something, without using millions and millions of events) this is not that important though, and not really needed.

It would be ice if you could combine layers together (like if you have 2 trees in layer 2, and a third tree in front of them in layer 3, and then you can combine those togther in layer 2) adding more layers would solve this issue as wel, but i think it would be easier to lose insight on what tyou're doing (I already mix layers up when I'm not paying attention)

also there are some scripts that are used in almost eery game (the one that adds more text options for example) they should put these in rpmgmaer as wel (not the script, but the idea)

a custom menu builder would be nice, you can make your own menu if you script it, or take one someone else scripted, but the point of rpgmaker is that it is as easy to use as possible for everyone, and this would make creating your own menu a lot easier

Posted on: 2011/11/14 17:59

Re: If you could give RPG Maker a makeOVER ... #7
Offline   shaz
  Administrator
gold   11565 Gold
Yannes, in the new VX Ace (soon to be released in Japanese, but English version will likely come later), you will be able to create your characters and faces by combining elements.

You've got some nice ideas here. I'd like quite a few of them too

Posted on: 2011/11/14 18:17

Register To Post
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Join our Newsletter!

RSS Feed

Coming Soon!
RPGs
Dragons Among Us
Aveyond 4

Sandbox
Pixel Pygmies

Kingdom Chat
ljspence > 09/15 08:49:03[ljspence] @Bronte you can check out the walkthrough in the forum for AV1 basically it would recommend going to the Western Isle and working on the quests to the south to eventually save Armaiti
Aveyond Wiki
Click to Visit!
made by fans, for fans
Kingdom Map

(Laws)

(Forums)

(News)

(Art Gallery)

(Cottages)

(Guilds)

(Experiments)

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing My Forum Entries)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

elf_baby, more...
About Us |  Sell Our Games |  Add Your Game to Our Site
2007 Amaranth Games, LLC