Amaranth Games   Games   News   Order   Community   Help   Blog   Goodies   Updates   Guides Developers
Username:    Password:      Register now!
Game Genres
All Games
RPG
Adventure
SIM
Story
Cute
Game Kits
Amaranth Games (games only by us)
Newest Game
Featured Game
Undefeated
Undefeated
Popular Games

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: SOPA and PIPA #21
Offline   KTC
  The Brotherhood
gold   7518 Gold
Level : 59
EXP : 48
HP : 877 / 1462
MP : 2538 / 28870
@ashen: What really gets me bout megaupload is that it's users uploaded content is what got it in trouble. The users. Contrary to what those FBI idiots think, there's no crime syndicate unless they are saying the internet is the crime syndicate.

If megaupload's people are convicted, it's gonna set up a dangerous precedent where any file hosting service like photobucket, rapidshare, youtube, hulu,etc. is in danger of immediate shutdown without any warning.

Also, maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me talking, but I find it very suspicious that megaupload is taken down right after SOPA is delayed. It's like the US wants to demonstrates it has the muscles to take down sites and it's only because they are so 'benevolent' that they haven't done it already.

@mopiece: If it does pass, it's going to be a very sad day in US. Kiss Youtube and wikipedia goodbye.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:00

Teijal's Toy

Re: SOPA and PIPA #22
Offline   Mopiece
  Dragon Lords
gold   5459 Gold
Level : 53
EXP : 9
HP : 520 / 1302
MP : 1810 / 24715
@KTC

If you use firefox, then there is already an add-on to get around it. It's not that hard to get around it.

But yes, it'll be a sad day because then it's a step in the complete wrong direction.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:05

Re: SOPA and PIPA #23
Offline   Ashen_Eclipse
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   1050 Gold
Level : 27
EXP : 32
HP : 0 / 658
MP : 314 / 10384
@KTC: Exactly. It's the users that 'abused' the website- the website itself did nothing wrong.

Also, sadly, I kinda agree with your conspiracy theory.

:.:.:
Anyway, I'm not against anti-piracy. I am against censorship, which is all these bills will really do. And here's the thing: if anti-piracy measures worked, then the anti-piracy measures we have in place should work a lot better than they do. But that's just it- they -don't- really work, in part because they aren't enforced, and in part because if people can get something for free and/or 'stick it to the man', they will.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:19

Visit my cottage. <3

Re: SOPA and PIPA #24
Offline   IvanaDeRossi
  Amaranthian
gold   1571 Gold
Level : 33
EXP : 39
HP : 161 / 809
MP : 513 / 14882
If it (illegal downloading) wasn't ok, then why do it in the first place? The fact that everyone's already doing it means that they already think it's ok - duh. -_-

What they're doing is useless anyways. They'll prolly enrage the users more.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 9:00

Re: SOPA and PIPA #25
Offline   theone
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   2417 Gold
Level : 39
EXP : 25
HP : 191 / 956
MP : 780 / 15089
Sometimes one has to trust the people to do the right thing. Here, in the piracy thing, the same has to be done.
Trust the people

Posted on: 2012/1/21 12:46

Join the W&W and visit my cottage

Re: SOPA and PIPA #26
Offline   SkylerWXG
  Druids
gold   1312 Gold
Level : 31
EXP : 26
HP : 151 / 756
MP : 435 / 10973
Sorry for the upcoming joke, but: One does not simply mess around with the Internet.

Open in new window

I mean, seriously, do they REALLY think that people would stop piracy and hacking? Just now I am sure that many of the hackers try to hack onto Mister Lamar's PC to have some fun. What I hate most is that big companies joined the cause. Nintendo and SONY are like dead for me. Thank God Apple stays aside, so I don't have a reason to throw my phone off.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 18:17

Re: SOPA and PIPA #27
Offline   yannes
  Amaranthian
gold   836 Gold
Level : 24
EXP : 47
HP : 117 / 586
MP : 243 / 6765
Sony and nintendo dropped their support actually:
http://www.slashgear.com/sony-and-nin ... onymous-threats-03205579/

Posted on: 2012/1/21 18:55

Re: SOPA and PIPA #28
Offline   Wolfie
  Amaranthian
gold   275 Gold
Level : 15
EXP : 57
HP : 0 / 364
MP : 92 / 5155
What really bugs me is why were pharma companies supporting the bill? The only thing I see them gaining from that would be the ability to easily shut down alternative medicine sites or sites that provide info about their drugs. . .

Also, I'm inclined to disagree --on an intellectual level-- with the idea that stopping piracy is desirable for legitimate copyright holders.

For example, the owners of Megatokyo and Goblins, among many other web comics, have all their work on the web for free. They still make money off their IP by selling related merchandise and books. Goblins even has s minicomic attached to it where the fate of the main character is determined by the amount of money donated, with goals up in the thousands or even tens of thousands. so far he's survived 11 of these drives.

Microsoft practically made an art of exploiting piracy with Vista and Windows 7 as I hear it... they released Vista, hackers reverse-engineered it and made improvements for their own use and some allowed others to download those changed versions, then Microsoft took those changes and implemented them in Windows 7, and got to charge people another couple hundred bucks per copy for an OS that actually almost works, with almost no effort on their own part.

The maker of TeX(the most popular writing program among people who publish books or papers regularly) has had that out for free for decades and still makes all the money he could want from royalties from the people who sell his users manuals.

These recent so called "piracy" issues have been about the RIAA's and other companies'/groups' desire to charge people between 49 cents and hunrdeds of dollars; for a service that requires no expertise, no equipment that isn't readily available to anyone, and costs less than nothing to perform-- which is copying the file and uploading it to a consumer's computer.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 22:27

Re: SOPA and PIPA #29
Offline   theone
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   2417 Gold
The postponement of the bill is a clever tactic, in my opinion. If the public forgets, it gives a perfect way to introduce laws.

Also, there is no reason for pharmaceuticals to agree except one. That would be to shut down Alternate Sites.

If this bill is passed, I believe even AM can be shut down on the grounds of the Music thread.

@KTC- You could always use proxies if that happens xD

Posted on: 2012/1/22 22:34

Re: SOPA and PIPA #30
Offline   Wolfie
  Amaranthian
gold   275 Gold
Quote:

theone wrote:

If this bill is passed, I believe even AM can be shut down on the grounds of the Music thread

It's worse than that. Mozilla could be shut down on a whim because they use the term "Internet" on their site, and as a non-profit don't have enough lawyers to fight Microsoft. Or Yahoo, sine they have an email thing.

Google and most other search engines would definitely be shut down since there is no possible way for them to find all the pirate sites that show up from obscure terms and filter those.

any wiki and forum(using this term loosely so it includes things like youtube) would get shut down that doesn't charge members for membership. the ones that do would make no money from it because they'd be busy paying moderators to scrutinize every post real-time.

any advertising or sales site would get shut down because someone is completely legally selling a third party product.
Sites that have ads on them would be shut down.

and not just at risk-- the owners would have to shut them down to avoid the choice between jail time or lawyer-induced bankruptcy.

and these are just the obvious examples, not to mention the less obvious ones.

Good thing it's not something we have to worry about anymore this year.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 22:43

Re: SOPA and PIPA #31
Offline   theone
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   2417 Gold
Actually, this says it'll be back in February
http://www.techspot.com/news/47103-ro ... o-resume-in-february.html

Posted on: 2012/1/22 22:58

Re: SOPA and PIPA #32
Offline   Wolfie
  Amaranthian
gold   275 Gold
So much for the power of an election year...

also:
Quote:
The postponement of the bill is a clever tactic, in my opinion. If the public forgets, it gives a perfect way to introduce laws.

I thought the same thing when they did that last november.

Unfortunately, the people pushing/bribing for this bill are being pretty proactive about this so it's probably going to get passed eventually unless everyone who opposes it comes up with some way to shut them up rather than just reacting to their actions.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 23:10

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

My newly built "abandoned cottage".

Re: SOPA and PIPA #33
Offline   KTC
  The Brotherhood
gold   7518 Gold
@theone: proxies would do little good if the site itself is forced to be shutdown like what they did with megaupload.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 3:57

Teijal's Toy

Re: SOPA and PIPA #34
Offline   Wolfie
  Amaranthian
gold   275 Gold
Quote:

KTC wrote:
@theone: proxies would do little good if the site itself is forced to be shutdown like what they did with megaupload.

He's got a bit of a point... pirate sites don't stay down very long so all you have to do is find out the new name...

Posted on: 2012/1/23 18:35

Re: SOPA and PIPA #35
Offline   KTC
  The Brotherhood
gold   7518 Gold
@wolfie: I'm not talking bout the pirate site which pop back up like cockroaches. I'm talking bout sites like youtube, deviantart, livejournal, AM, newgrounds, etc. which aren't like the pirate sites.

SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/any other infernal four lettered acronym measures will do little to control piracy. For every piracy site that goes down, 10+ more takes it place. It's the legit sites I surf that concerns me.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 0:11

Teijal's Toy

Re: SOPA and PIPA #36
Offline   Wolfie
  Amaranthian
gold   275 Gold
Oh I see your point. That's kinda why this whole 'piracy' thing doesn't seem right to me. It's like it's not about copyright but market control.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 1:48

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

My newly built "abandoned cottage".

Re: SOPA and PIPA #37
Offline   theone
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   2417 Gold
Ok, just visited the site. They shut it down completely which I didn't know so you're right

(I thought they'd only block it in the U.S)

Posted on: 2012/1/24 2:25

Re: SOPA and PIPA #38
Offline   M0n0chr0me
  Amaranthian
gold   83 Gold
Level : 7
EXP : 59
HP : 0 / 164
MP : 25 / 1623
Anyone heard of ACTA? Before today, I had no clue that it even existed. Apparently, it's been around for years, but has gained popularity now that countries are actually passing it now. (Yes, that was plural. This thing is worldwide.)

(Here's a link to a video that explains it, in case some people don't know about it.)

If anything's going to end in 2012, it'll probably be the internet as we know it...

Anonymous must be losing their freakin' minds.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 19:22

Re: SOPA and PIPA #39
Offline   KTC
  The Brotherhood
gold   7518 Gold
Yeah I've heard of ACTA. It's an evil piece of legislation that's worse than SOPA/PIPA. US is already on board unfortunately. *facedesk*

Posted on: 2012/1/25 22:36

Teijal's Toy

Re: SOPA and PIPA #40
Offline   SkylerWXG
  Druids
gold   1312 Gold
Level : 31
EXP : 26
HP : 151 / 756
MP : 435 / 10973
This will destroy the Internet and life, and this thing was done in private. And people say conspiracy theories are not true! Monitoring, jailing for sharing a copyrighted thing, which used to be free information, and everything will be destroyed. The deserved that server shutdown!

Lemme add something new:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6NGT14aaP8&feature=related
In the end, they say: " Leaders of the New World Order ", well, I have nothing else to say.

Edited to remove profanity. Even with symbols you can't use profane language.
~Mopiece

Posted on: 2012/1/26 9:46

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
      Register To Post
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Join our Newsletter!

RSS Feed

Coming Soon!
RPGs
Asteria
Dragons Among Us
Aveyond 4
Sons of Arcadia
Asteria
Dragon Essence
The Bounty
Data Hacker: Reboot
Season of the Wolf
Stargazer
Elements: Heart of Light
Destiny of a Wizard

Sandbox
Pixel Pygmies

Kingdom Chat
Sargon > 10/31 21:49:55[Sargon] I am more afraid of the flesh beings than a ghost XD
Aveyond Wiki
Click to Visit!
made by fans, for fans
Kingdom Map

(Laws)

(Forums)

(News)

(Art Gallery)

(Cottages)

(Guilds)

(Experiments)

Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing My Forum Entries)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
About Us |  Sell Our Games |  Add Your Game to Our Site
2007 Amaranth Games, LLC