Amaranth Games   Games   News   Order   Community   Help   Blog   Goodies   Updates   Guides Developers
Username:    Password:      Register now!
Game Genres
All Games
RPG
Adventure
SIM
Story
Cute
Game Kits
Amaranth Games (games only by us)
Newest Game
Featured Game
Edolie
Edolie
Popular Games

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Register To Post

Dark skin and sunlight #1
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8787 Gold
Level : 53
EXP : 49
HP : 524 / 1312
MP : 1849 / 25206
This is something I've been wondering for a while. If this ought to be somewhere else, I'm sorry.

Most of us should know about the thing with melanin and dark skin from science classes (unless your school teach a different curriculum or you just haven't got there yet). People living in places with lots of sun have genes for dark skin, if you go out in the sun too much you become darker, and if you never go out ever you become pale, etc etc etc.

Now here's my question: What happens if a genetically dark-skinned person (say an African or Indian) doesn't get sunlight for years. Can they turn pale-white? Or is there a "limit" to how pale they can get? I mean, I was under the impression that people who don't see sunlight ever can become paler than they originally were, but the examples I've seen are people who weren't very dark-skinned to begin with (Asians, Caucasians), so that's not really a fair sample.

Anyone knows? Anyone has ideas?

Posted on: 2012/1/16 7:24

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #2
Offline   KTC
  The Brotherhood
gold   7518 Gold
Level : 59
EXP : 48
HP : 877 / 1462
MP : 2538 / 28098
This is from what I remembered from bio class so there's probably a lot of errors in terminology and what not.

Homozygous Africans are genetically coded to be dark (ie produce a lot of pigment) to begin with so at a certain point, they won't get any lighter skin. It'll still be darker than white people though.

For example, look at the children of black and white parents. They are definitely paler than the black parent but are darker than the white. That's because they're getting a 'mixing' of the pigment genes hence why kids' skin color always appears to be in the middle of the parents.

Unless you have a genetic condition like Vitiligo where you skin pigment is being destroyed, an African person theoretically wouldn't be able to naturally get as light as a white person.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 17:23

Teijal's Toy

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #3
Offline   theone
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   2417 Gold
Level : 39
EXP : 25
HP : 191 / 956
MP : 780 / 14584
What KTC said.
You either have genes for pale or dark skin or in between. You can get paler and darker but not too pale or too dark

P.S- Indians are not BLACK

Posted on: 2012/1/17 2:37

Join the W&W and visit my cottage

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #4
Offline   An.
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   1567 Gold
Level : 28
EXP : 89
HP : 139 / 697
MP : 359 / 6732
Agreed with theone & KTC.

And also: Indian aren't black. Only south Indians, and mind it, not SO black. .-.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 8:39

Couple avvie and siggie set with Meroko

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #5
Offline   diamondmist
  Amaranthian
gold   882 Gold
Level : 24
EXP : 76
HP : 0 / 594
MP : 250 / 9178
Well, speaking from the POV of a person who's the child of a pale woman and a darker man, I'll say KTC is right. People have genetic similarities and differences and mixups. I get you mean to say that Indians are darker than most, and perhaps black is the word the more white people use, but I'll say that if a dark-skinned person stays inside, he won't get whiter. Of course, health and natural glow will be, say, decreased (maybe I'm wrong, since I'm only basing this on other theories, not experience) but I say that this is pretty much a repetition of KTC/theone... (*eyetwitch*)

Posted on: 2012/1/17 9:47

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #6
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8787 Gold
Quote:
P.S- Indians are not BLACK

Okay? Did anyone say Indians are black?

Anyways, so darker people don't get washed-out white unless they turn into vampires? Gotcha. See, I was under the impression that people who lives in the basement and never goes out ever is super-pale, and they turn paler than the colour they were originally born with. That's why I was wondering how pale a genetically dark person can get.

Unless I got wrong/flawed/incomplete info and people do NOT actually turn THAT pale even if they never come in contact with the sun.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 20:21

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #7
Offline   KTC
  The Brotherhood
gold   7518 Gold
Vampire: It would depend on how rapid is the preservation of the body by the vampire curse/venom/whatever. A dead body's pigments would start to be decomposed by bacteria which is why dead bodies appear lighter than others. So a vampire could hypothetically be still as dark as they were if the preservation aspect starts immediately after they die. Though I guess if we go by a dracula process, they would be relatively light by the time the body revives (I believe it takes 3 days to become a dracula vampire so the process is slow which means the pigments can be decomposed by the bacteria until the curse kills them off). Though they should still be darker than their fellow white vampires since they have more pigments to go through.

I think a person's baseline color would either be the color they are born with or their color after puberty hits since that's when there's a bunch of hormonal changes and what not. By after puberty I mean when the body finishes its changes and there might be permanent changes in the baseline pigment amount.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 13:40

Teijal's Toy

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #8
Offline   daeva_agas
  Witches and Warlocks
gold   8787 Gold
LOL, I was kind of thinking AV vampires when I said vampires. After they feed properly, they turn paper-white regardless what colour their skin originally was, no?

Posted on: 2012/1/21 8:28

Re: Dark skin and sunlight #9
Offline   KTC
  The Brotherhood
gold   7518 Gold
Oh, well AV was never big on science explanations anyway so XD

Posted on: 2012/1/21 13:55

Teijal's Toy

Register To Post
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Join our Newsletter!

RSS Feed

Coming Soon!
RPGs
Dragons Among Us
Aveyond 4

Sandbox
Pixel Pygmies

Kingdom Chat
ljspence > 08/25 14:55:14[ljspence] I should think so
Aveyond Wiki
Click to Visit!
made by fans, for fans
Kingdom Map

(Laws)

(Forums)

(News)

(Art Gallery)

(Cottages)

(Guilds)

(Experiments)

Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing My Forum Entries)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
About Us |  Sell Our Games |  Add Your Game to Our Site
2007 Amaranth Games, LLC